Sunday, October 11, 2020 –
Welcome to a new week and a new set of Mysteries! For the next five days we will be meditating on the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary. You know…the ones from Pope Saint John Paul II in 2002.
The First Luminous Mystery: The Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan (Matthew 3: 16-17)
John the Baptist baptizes Christ in the Jordan, thus giving us the Sacrament of Baptism
NB: Fulton Sheen’s Meditations on the Fifteen Mysteries of the Rosary was writing many, many years before Pope John Paul II issued the Luminous Mysteries. Therefore, we will not have Sheen’s meditations for this set.
For each bead (1-10) in the decade, meditate (think) on the list below:
- John is baptizing in the Jordan proclaiming a baptism of repentance.
- “I am the voice of one crying in the desert, make straight the way of the Lord.”
- “One mightier than I is coming after me.”
- “I have baptized you with water, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
- Seeing Jesus, John exclaims: “Behold the Lamb of God.”
- Against protests of his unworthiness, John baptizes Jesus in the Jordan.
- After Jesus’ baptism a voice from Heaven: “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.”
- The Spirit descends upon Jesus in the form of a dove.
- In this heavenly manifestation is instituted the sacrament of baptism.
- The divine Trinity is manifested: the voice of the Father is heard as the Spirit descends upon the Son.
Spiritual Fruit of the Mystery: Openness to the Holy Spirit
Gate of Heaven, pray for us!
NOTE: These meditations are a compilation of several different sources that I have found helpful over the years:
- Meditations on the Fifteen Mysteries of the Rosary by Fulton Sheen
- Praying the Rosary without Distractions from The Rosary Center and Confraternity
- Pray the Rosary Daily from Marian Press
- Quick Meditations on Every Mystery of the Rosary by Ascension Press