Wednesday, April 1, 2020 –
Don’t y’all wish this was one big April Fool’s joke? I’ve always hated April Fools, but for once I’d be on board with someone shouting “Gotcha! April Fools!” Oh well…
Side note, April 1st is generally connected to the change from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian.
Anyhow, someone asked me why I pick the Saints I do each day since they don’t line up with any calendar. So here is Mrs. Flusche’s wakadoodle calendar of Saints thus far for this pandemic:
- Day 0 – Saint John Vianney – Patron Saint of Parish Priests
- Day 1 – Saint Catherine of Siena – “Be who God meant you to be…”
- Day 2 – Saint Athanasius – Because of Bishop Athanasius Schneider (read the book!)
- Day 3 – Saint Joseph, Protector of the Church – Because he is the protector…of the Church
- Day 4 – Saint Pio of Pietrelcina – Knew a thing or two about suffering, but also the Patron Saint of Stress Relief
- Day 5 – The Fourteen Holy Helpers – During the Black Death, these 14 Saints were invoked against the plague
- Day 6 – Saint Pius X – He’s pretty much the king of traddy Saints
- Day 7 – Saint Ignatius of Loyola – Spiritual Exercises
- Day 8 – Saint Martha – I like to think of her as the “Patron Saint of Being Busy,” but she’s also the Patron Saint of Homemakers
- Day 9 – Saint Vincent de Paul – Patron Saint of the Poor
- Day 10 – Saint Clare of Assisi – Patron Saint of Television (she had a vision of the Eucharist on her wall when she was too ill to go to Mass)
- Day 11 – Venerable Fulton Sheen – One of the most recognized Catholics on TV
- Day 12 – Our Lady of Sorrows – Because this has been the Lentiest Lent ever!
- Day 13 – Saint Nicholas – Patron Saint of Children
- Day 14 – Saint Zita – Patron Saint of Domestic Workers
- Day 15 – Saint Peter – Patron Saint of Fishermen
- Day 16 – Saint Philip Neri – Patron Saint of Humor
Saint Philip Neri, pray for us!